Do Roof Preventative Maintenance Plans Really Save You Money?
The roof, whether a commercial roof or residential roof, is one of the most critical structural components of a building. However, it is often one of the most overlooked. As a property manager, you constantly strive to find ways to maximize your facility’s budget. This effort can result in budget cuts to projects that may not seem urgent, such as preventative roof maintenance.
However, cutting back on routine preventative roof maintenance can significantly impact your long-term budget. A roof preventative maintenance plan helps keep minor roofing problems from developing into larger, more costly problems later especially if it is a commercial roofing issue.
Common Commercial Roof Problems
So, what are some common residential and commercial roofing problems? It’s essential to recognize what some common roofing problems are so you can better understand why routine roof maintenance matters.
- Roof leaks: Roof leaks arise when water penetrates the layers of material between the roof and deck sheathing. Leaks can cause stains on the ceiling, roof rot, mold growth, and water damage to furnishings and contents inside the building.
- Pooling water: Flat roofs are vulnerable to pooling water. Low spots on the roof can prevent water from draining correctly, leaving pools that cannot evaporate readily, thus causing damage to the roof system.
- Wind or hail damage: Wind can cause shingles to crease, tear, or detach from the roof. Hail can bruise, pit, or crack shingles. Damage from these storms can compromise the integrity of the shingles and expose the roof system to potential water damage. Wind and hail damage is not visible from the ground, so it is vital to have a trained professional inspect for damage.
- Ice dams: An ice dam is a ridge of ice that forms at the roof’s edge and prevents melting snow (water) from draining off the roof. The water then backs up behind the dam and can leak into the building, causing damage to ceilings, walls, insulation, electrical systems, and other areas.
- Tree damage: Downed tree limbs are a more obvious sign of roof damage. Limbs can rip shingles off or even leave holes in the roof. However, less noticeable are leaves and twigs, which can clog gutters, resulting in water damage.
Benefits of a Commercial Roof Preventative Maintenance Plan
Your roof, whether residential or commercial, is your first line of defense to protect your investment against the elements — sun, water, wind, ice, and snow — and requires as much preventative maintenance as your vehicles. Benefits to having a residential or commercial roofing preventative maintenance plan include:
Prevents Property Damage
A professional contractor can identify areas that are already damaged and may develop into costly problems later. By the time a leak makes its way through the roofing system to your ceiling, you may already have damage to your roof decking, insulation, and HVAC and electrical systems, as well as a potential mold problem.
Extends the Life of Your Roof
Roofing Contractor Magazine reports that “Proactively maintained roofs last an average of 21 years compared to 13 years for reactively maintained roofs. More than 80% of all roofs are replaced prematurely because of problems that occur before they reach their anticipated life span.”
Maintains Warranty Compliance
Many manufacturers stipulate that a roof and roofing system receive routine maintenance so as not to void the manufacturer’s warranty.
Keeps Your Operations Running
If your roof becomes severely damaged, you may experience significant downtime for repairs to be performed, which may result in a loss of customers and revenue or displaced tenants.
Kris Konstruction’s Commercial Roof Kare Plan
How long your roof lasts depends as much on the quality of the construction as it does the weather elements it is subjected to year after year. Kris Konstruction’s Commercial Roof Kare plan provides you with proactive roofing solutions designed to protect your investment, extend the life of your roof, and save you money.
You get peace of mind knowing that your property is being inspected and maintained, rather than just trying to survive the elements.
Our professional inspectors will provide a comprehensive report to help you stay informed about your roof’s condition, including any preventative maintenance or repairs that will prevent bigger issues later.
When replacement is necessary, we’ll recommend the best materials and the most effective installation options to ensure your new roof provides the protection you require.
Contact us today to ask about our commercial roofing services and Commercial Roof Kare Plan!